I am interested in...
Why should I participate in an IPAL program?

IPAL-accepted programs provide the opportunity to earn your license in less time by incorporating experience and examination into your education.

Who develops NCARB’s programs?

NCARB works with hundreds of volunteer architects to develop and administer our programs.

Where can I find detailed information about completing the AXP?

The  AXP Guidelines  is essential reading for licensure candidates and their supervisors. The document includes steps to completing the program, reporting procedures, experience requirements, and more.

What is NCARB by the Numbers?

NCARB by the Numbers  offers an inside look at the data behind the architecture profession—including the timeline to licensure, demographics of architects and licensure candidates, and more.

What is experience setting A?

Setting A covers the experience you gain while employed by an organization engaged in the lawful practice of architecture, working under an AXP supervisor who is licensed to practice architecture in the United States or Canada. To meet the AXP’s requirements, you’ll need to earn a minimum of 1,860 hours in experience setting A. There is no maximum number of hours you can earn in this setting.

What is a NAAB-accredited program?

The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) evaluates and accredits architecture programs in the United States. A NAAB-accredited program offers a professional degree in architecture that meets the education requirement for licensure in all 55 U.S. jurisdictions.

What countries does NCARB have mutual recognition arrangements with?

NCARB currently has agreements to facilitate reciprocal licensure with Australia, Canada, Mexico, and New Zealand. Learn more about our mutual recognition arrangements.

What are continuing education hours (CEH)?

One continuing education hour (CEH) equals one hour in an education program—such as  NCARB’s Continuum Education courses. The AIA refers to CEHs as learning units (LUs). Continuing education hours are required by most jurisdictions to renew your license.

Should U.S. architects seeking registration in Canada use the Tri-National Agreement?

No. U.S. architects seeking registration in Canada should use the streamlined  Canadian Mutual Recognition Arrangement.

Please note: To take advantage of the MRA between the United States and Canada, your principal place of practice must be a  signatory jurisdiction. If your principal place of practice is not a signatory jurisdiction, you may use the Tri-National Agreement.

How long do I have to pass a Continuum Education quiz?

After you download your Continuum Education course, you’ll have two years and two opportunities to finish the quiz. If you would like to re-take the quiz for a third time, please contact our Customer Relations team at 202-879-0520. Subsequent retakes cost $25 each.

While quiz availability may change over time, courses approved for AIA learning units are generally available for three years after initial publication. Availability may be extended for select courses. It is our goal to provide two months’ advance notice before retiring any monographs.