NCARB’s Board of Directors is made up of volunteers from around the country. The Board of Directors is elected at NCARB’s Annual Business Meeting each year (typically held in June) by its members, who are the 55 U.S. architectural licensing boards.
To serve on the NCARB Board of Directors, you must be currently serving on or have recently served on a U.S. architectural licensing board. NCARB is dedicated to encouraging greater diversity in its volunteer pool, including the Board of Directors. NCARB is proactively connecting individuals interested in serving on licensing boards with their state governor’s office and informing interested individuals when positions on state boards become available.
There are two key ways to get involved:
- Volunteer for your state licensing board—In most states, board members are appointed by the governor or other local leadership. NCARB regularly updates a list of jurisdictions with open licensing board positions.
- Join an NCARB committee—Serving on an NCARB committee is a great way to get involved with licensing boards around the country and hear the latest updates about additional opportunities. Committee members are appointed each spring for the upcoming fiscal year, which runs from July – June. While most committee members are members of state licensing boards, NCARB does publish a call for volunteers to serve on the Think Tank, Re-Think Tank, additional focus groups, and some ARE development-related committees. Learn more about NCARB committees.
Board of Directors Positions
There are currently 14 positions on the NCARB Board of Directors:
- Five officers including the president, first vice president/president-elect, second vice president, treasurer, secretary,
- The immediate past president
- Six regional directors who are nominated by each of NCARB’s six regions
- One public director whose service as public member on a jurisdictional board brings the perspective of the consumer
- One Member Board Executive (MBE) director who provides the perspective of licensing board staff
Board of Directors Qualifications
To serve on NCARB’s Board of Directors, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Have served at least two years on a U.S. licensing board (or served two years as the licensing board’s executive for the MBE director position)
- This service must either be current or have ended one year or less before nomination, or you must be an officer for one of the six regions, an incumbent director, or be the current board executive
- If you are an architect, you must also hold the NCARB Certificate
Board of Directors Elections
Members of the Board of Directors are elected annually by NCARB's Member Boards during the Annual Business Meeting and serve a one-year term. To learn more about the nomination and election process, read the NCARB Bylaws.