If you received an architecture degree in a foreign country but do not hold a license, you will need to follow the steps below to earn a license in the United States.

Keep in mind, licensure requirements vary by jurisdiction. Use our licensing requirements tool to review the specific requirements for the jurisdiction where you would like to earn a license.

  1. Create an NCARB Record.
  2. Complete an EESA evaluation. This will determine whether your education meets the NCARB Education Standard and identify any deficiencies.
  3. Complete the Architectural Experience Program® (AXP®).
  4. Pass the Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®).

Please note: Through the Canberra Accord, certain professional degrees in architecture from accredited programs in Australia, Canada, China, Korea, Mexico, and the Commonwealth Association of Architects may qualify for accelerated EESA evaluation processing by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB). For more information about applying for licensure in the United States with a foreign degree, download the Education Guidelines.