We’re serious about protecting the public’s health, safety, and welfare, and to do that, we have to protect the content of the ARE. To ensure the exam’s integrity, we use Prometric’s secure test administration process and copyright all examination content.
In addition to testing at a secure location, you’ll have to accept our ARE Candidate Agreement before taking any ARE 5.0 division. The agreement prohibits you from attempting to access or distribute exam content before or after the exam. Learn more about what you can and can’t share from your exam experience.
To further protect the content of the exam, you must adhere to the following regulations:
- Cell phones, calculators, and smart watches or devices are not allowed in the testing room or secure testing area.
- Use of tobacco is not allowed while testing.
- Papers, books, food, purses, or wallets are not allowed in the testing room or secure testing area.
- At the test center, you may not leave the testing room without the test center administrator’s permission. During online proctored delivery, you may not leave the secure testing area without first selecting the onscreen break option.
- At the test center, you must present your identification, sign a logbook, and be scanned by a metal detector to be readmitted to the testing room. During online proctored delivery, you must present your identification and show your workstation and surrounding area to regain access to your test.
- No reference materials may be brought into the testing room or secure testing area.
Candidates who do not follow these rules and security measures are subject to NCARB’s policy on exam candidate conduct.
For more details regarding ARE security measures, read the ARE 5.0 Guidelines.
Prometric has instituted new policies and procedures to help ensure candidate and staff safety due to coronavirus. Please refer to Prometric's website for more information about bringing personal protective equipment to the test center.