After much consideration, NCARB has made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 Scholars in Professional Practice event due to ongoing COVID-19 concerns. Our top priority has been and continues to be the health, safety, and wellbeing of our participants, speakers, volunteers, and staff.
The true value of this training event lies not only in the program's content, but also in the development of interpersonal skills through face-to-face discussions, sharing of best practices, and long-lasting connections made with other professors in the field. We believe in the importance of maintaining the in-person quality of this event and are hopeful in providing an opportunity for you to join us for our Scholars in Professional Practice event in 2021.
NCARB is excited to announce the 2020 NCARB Scholars in Professional Practice program, August 6-8. This year, NCARB plans to hold the program at the California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo.
This program is a structured, multi-day professional development opportunity for professional practice educators, focusing on current, foreseen, and imagined trends in academia and practice. During this exclusive training event, 20 professors from around the country will convene to share best practices, learn from experts, and enhance the delivery of professional practice courses.
Through a mix of presentations and interactive sessions, scholars will explore several topics related to teaching professional practice, including:
- Teaching pedagogy and curriculum integration
- Negotiation skills
- Ethical decision making
- Firm financial planning
- Marketing and communications
- Legal professional responsibilities
- The future of academia and practice
- And more
Registration for the training program will open late-April. The registration fee is $350, which includes all sessions and meals offered during the event (expenses for any additional food purchased outside of the event are not included). Be on the lookout for additional information about this training opportunity and details about how to register. Seats are limited. In the meantime, check out last year’s event to learn more about what to expect.
NCARB has funding available to support the attendance of a limited number of participants. All expenses related to travel (within the U.S.) and participation will be covered by NCARB for the scholarship recipients.
To apply for a scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a professor or adjunct faculty in an architecture program accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) or in candidacy status
- Teach a professional practice course
- Write a brief statement of interest (200-500 words) and upload a resume
- Submit a letter of support from their school of architecture’s dean, chair, or head
- Optional: Include up to three nomination letters from current or past students
- Be able to attend the training event from August 6-8, 2020, in San Luis Obispo, California
The application deadline was originally March 23, 2020. However, due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, we've decided to extend time and accept applications until March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. (PST).
Questions? Please contact Patricia Ramallo at firstname.lastname@example.org.